If you’re a typical American parent, you’re biting your fingernails at the prospect of your newly licensed teenager driving. After all, the road is dangerous enough for an experienced driver let alone a new one; in fact, per mile driven, teenagers are 3 times more likely to get in a serious car crash than drivers over the age of 20.
However, your kid needs to gain his or her independence sometime. That’s why it’s important to give them the keys to a reliable and extremely safe car – and preferably one with an affordable price tag.
Safe Cars for Teens: What to Look for
When choosing a safe vehicle for your new teenage driver, you should search with the following criteria in mind:
- Low Horsepower – Nothing is as alluring to a lead-footed teen than a vehicle sporting a powerful engine. To ensure they stick to the speed limit, opt for a respectable used Honda Civic over its bodacious, race-inspired brother Civic Type R, for instance.
- Small SUVs are Good – In crash tests, larger sedans and smaller crossovers or SUVs performed better than compact cars. Their weight and a robust list of safety features provide more crash protection.
- Stability Control – Antilock brakes and electronic stability control are must-have features for your new driver. These help your teen keep control of their vehicle on slippery roads.
- Good Safety Ratings – Always check the prospective vehicle’s NHTSA and IIHS safety ratings. Identify the grades given for roof strength, rollover, and overlap crashworthiness.
- Recall History – When you shop at a used car lot near you, check vehicles’ VINs to see if there are any current our past recalls issued. But remember that not all recalls are due to safety concerns; some are simply cosmetic.
- Driver-Assist Features – Consider the other types of in-vehicle features your teenage driver might find useful. Systems like Honda’s Road Departure Mitigation and Collision Mitigation Braking are excellent at helping new drivers avoid crashes. (Read more about the Honda Sensing safety suite.)
Recommended Used Honda Vehicles for Teenagers
Unlike decades past, when a cheap used car meant cheap, today’s used vehicles aren’t just vehicles to drive into the ground; they offer a great array of modern safety features that provide substantial protection in the event of a collision, while also being inexpensive. That’s why more than 80% of parents will buy their teenage drivers a pre-owned vehicle.
Used Honda Accord (2013 & Newer)
Both Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan models top the IIHS list. These used Accord vehicles come with an array of available driver-assist and safety features, such as a rearview camera, Lane Departure Warning, daytime running lights, SmartVent® front airbags, and more.
Used Honda CR-V (2015 & Newer)
Certified pre-owned Honda CR-V crossovers can be financed or purchased with safety features like Honda LaneWatch, a multi-angle rearview camera with dynamic guidelines, Collision Mitigation Braking System, and more.
Used Honda Odyssey (2014 & Newer)
If you’d rather let your teen borrow the family car, make it a used Honda Odyssey. The Odyssey is one of the safest minivans in America, offering features like Forward Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning, and a standard rearview camera with guidelines.
All HondaTrue Certified models are also covered by a 7-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Warranty. To learn more about the Honda Certified Pre-Owned program, or to get an estimate on a used Honda in Miami, contact one of our South Florida Honda Dealers today.
Plan Ahead. Buy a New Honda.
Parents who have yet to experience those “teenager years” can start planning ahead by purchasing a new Honda for the family now. That way, when it comes time to let your 16-year-old get behind the wheel, you’ll have a quality, safe vehicle to pass down – and an opportunity to shop for another new Honda.
Visit our South Florida Honda Dealers around Miami to find a deal on a new or certified pre-owned Honda for your teen (or a new one for you). Find and contact your nearest used Honda dealership to get a quote.