We regret to inform you that New Year’s Eve is canceled.
Just kidding. But if you’re planning on ringing in 2019 with some bubbly friends and bubbly drinks, please do so safely! Follow this driving safety guide to ensure your new year begins with a bang, not a crash.
- Find yourself a trusted designated driver, like, yesterday. Driving while under the influence on New Year’s Eve is a dumb move, but somehow thousands of people each year do it. In Florida, fatal car crashes spike on New Year’s Eve/Day, with the hours between midnight and 3 a.m. being the most dangerous. Don’t drink and drive! If you must, request a Lyft or Uber ride back home.
- You can get a free vehicle tow from AAA if you’re impaired on New Year’s Eve! Their “Tow To Go” program provides this complimentary service to all Floridians on NYE, regardless of AAA membership. The tow truck will transport you and your vehicle home or to a safe destination, like a hotel.
- The 1-800-234-RIDE Emergency Ride Home Program is also available to commuters in the Miami-Dade, Palm Beach, and Broward Counties. If you take public transportation or carpool, bike, or walk to work at least 3 times per week, you may be eligible for free taxi vouchers.
- Report suspected drunk drivers to the police as soon as possible; even if you aren’t in any apparent danger, that driver may put others in their crosshair. To reach the Florida Highway Patrol, you can dial 911 or 1-800-459-6861, as well as *FHP from your mobile phone.
- If you don’t want your car to be stolen, don’t leave it parked overnight. More thieves steal cars on New Year’s Day than any other holiday of the year. If you must park your vehicle, ensure it’s locked and all your valuables are removed before sleeping off the hangover. If you’re smart enough to have opted for a Honda vehicle with HondaLink, you can keep track of your car with both the Security Alarm Alert app and Stolen Vehicle Locator service.
- The world is a scary place. Let your inner introvert shine this New Year’s by bingeing on a nice, long Netflix or Hulu show. Pop the champagne at midnight and get your beauty rest.
We hope you can stay out of trouble this New Year’s Eve. And don’t let auld acquaintance be forgot this New Year! Visit your South Florida Honda Dealer to get the best 2019 Honda offers on the newest cars, SUVs, trucks, and minivans. The Happy Honda Days Sales event will keep rolling into 2019, so stop by and save on a new car today.