If you retained anything from basic training, it’s this: Don’t approach any battle or situation half-cocked or without a plan. Always do your homework, plan your attack, and figure out an exit strategy.
That same logic applies when you shop at a dealership. Purchasing a new vehicle is a serious endeavor that shouldn’t be taken lightly. To secure the best possible deal as a retiree, veteran, or military servicemember, you should take these tips to heart:
- Always check around for car dealerships with military bonuses near you before visiting one. They should be able to get the ball rolling on your financing application and help you verify your military credentials. (Proving you’re eligible will usually require a Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), Military ID, or another similar form or documentation.)
- Buying while you’re stationed overseas? Some auto manufacturers have military car deals that you can take advantage of outside of the U.S., including some offers that allow you to buy a vehicle tax-free or with free shipping back home. Ask your nearest car dealer or trusted stateside dealer for more information.
- Speak with your auto dealer about combining your military or veterans offer with any other deals, like lease offers or financing specials. In some instances, you may be able to take advantage of multiple deals at your dealership.
- Get a quote for financing at your dealership, but also look for military car loans. Some private lenders, like USAA, PenFed or Navy Fed, may be able to find you a lower interest rate than the dealer. (This isn’t always true, so be sure to compare all quotes and estimates you receive.)
- If you’re at risk of being deployed at a moment’s notice, be sure to weigh the pros and cons of leasing vs. financing, ask about any available dealer or manufacturer moratoriums on payments, and check if you’re eligible to take your vehicle with you.
- Choose a lease? You could be eligible to get out of that auto lease contract if you get deployed, are undergoing a Permanent Change of Station, or move to another state. Check with your dealer, financing/banking institution, and appropriate military personnel for assistance.
- Ask about GAP Insurance from your dealer. Some provide this as an extra expense, but others will lump standard GAP protection into your terms. Honda leases all come with GAP coverage, which will cover any remaining balance if your vehicle is in a crash or totaled.
Honda Veterans & Military Program: Overview
Wondering which military car deals are worth checking out? We think Honda’s Military Appreciation Offer provides the most benefits and some of the best cars for military members, veterans and retirees.
All qualifying buyers can receive a $500 military bonus on their new Honda.
To qualify for the Honda Military Appreciation Offer, you must be or be in one of the following U.S. Military branches:
- U.S. Military Active Duty, including Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, Coast Guard and Active Reserve
- U.S. Military Ready Reserve
- U.S. Military Retirees and Veterans, within two years of separation from active service
- Gold Star Family member
- Spouse of any Active Duty, Ready Reserve, Retiree or Veteran servicemembers
Eligible Models & Model Years
Many car manufacturers limit their military and veteran car sales to specific models. For example, you can’t use the GM or Chevy military offer on the Corvette, Cadillac CT4, or several base-trim Chevy models.
That’s not the case with Honda. Most new Honda models, 2019 or newer, qualify for the Military Appreciation Offer. Speak with your Honda dealer for full model eligibility.
The Honda military program is available in all 50 states, unlike other brands’ military car deals. For instance, the Toyota military offer is not available in Florida, South Carolina, North Caroline, Hawaii, Georgia or Alabama.
Proof of service is a requirement on any Military car bonus application. This proof will come in one or several of the following forms:
- Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) as proof of military status
- Spouses must provide Military ID and spouse’s LES
- Gold Star Family status documentation
As always, speak with a participating car dealer for further details about these car deals for veterans and military members.
Shop Veterans Day Car Deals & Sales in South Florida
As a thank you for your service, our South Florida Honda Dealers are offering a variety of Veterans Day car sales on virtually all new Honda models. Whether you’re stationed at the Homestead Air Reserve Base, serving at the USCG Base in Miami Beach, or working at the AUTEC Complex in West Palm Beach, we can help you spend less on your vehicle.
Check out our car dealerships’ Honda Veterans Day sales to save on your next new CR-V, Accord or any other new Honda model. Find your nearest South Florida Honda Dealers store to start your finance application, request a quote, or learn more about the Honda Military Appreciation Offer.
Honda – Honda is offering select U.S. Military individuals and their spouses $500 toward any 2019 or newer model year Honda automobile when you finance or lease through Honda Financial Services® (HFS). The Honda Military Appreciation Offer is limited to the 48 contiguous U.S. states, Alaska and Hawaii. For well-qualified clients, subject to approval by HFS. Only one $500 Honda Military Appreciation offer per vehicle. This offer applies to active duty and ready reserve personnel and their spouses. This offer also applies to eligible U.S. Military Veterans and their spouses within two years of separation from active service. Active Duty and Ready Reserve are also eligible regardless of the date of separation from active service. Spouses of U.S. Military Retirees are only eligible within two years of their spouses’ separation from service. All spouses must present proof of relationship. A valid Military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) is required as proof of eligibility. Gold Star Family members must provide official military service documentation supporting Gold Star status. Please see dealer for list of accepted documents. Offer cannot be combined with Zero Due at Signing Lease Program. Offer not valid on Honda Certified Used Car or used vehicles. Offer valid through 03/31/2021 and may be terminated at any time. NOTE: During the term of the retail installment finance contract or lease with Honda Financial Services, buyer may not take their vehicle outside the United States without prior written consent of Honda Financial Services. During the term of the retail installment finance contract or lease, buyer must notify Honda Financial Services immediately of any change in buyer’s address. Offer valid through March 31, 2021, unless terminated earlier by HFS.
FCA – Grand Caravan and Journey not available for registration in certain states.